Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dino Waffles

Sitting here looking through pictures from this week I find myself wondering things like why kids choose to eat random things like glue and Play-Doh?! Roman isn't a glue eater yet, but I have no doubt in my mind that one day this child will pick a bottle of Elmer's over a good home made dinner.

I am slowly but surely beating this picky eater stage. For awhile there he was living off Cheerios and  crackers. I would say last week was the paint where I became completely fed up with making him yummy meals, for it to only be dismissed as "yucky" without even taking a bite.

My tactic now? I make EVERYTHING into a sandwich! So simple and I'm sort of pissed at myself for not coming to this conclusion sooner.

So yeah, not a glue eater, but definitely a Play-Doh licker. Sounds nutritious right? HA! I first discovered Roman's Play-Doh problem when I came out of the kitchen and his teeth were mysteriously blue. He looked up at me, smiled his big toothy grin, and said "Yummy", as he proceeded to lick what was left of it.
Needless to say, I am still working on his 12 steps to recovery but we just can't move forward until he admits he has a problem.

This is how our progress is coming.... these were taken three days ago.



Side note: Who's brilliant idea was it to make a little winder thing to make it look like spaghetti?! I suppose in the end it's my fault because I let him play with it and choose to take these pictures rather then stopping this behavior.


There are times though when I can get a bit creative in how I sneak veggies into his diet.
For example, Veggie Waffles. Yes, you heard that right! Veggies... in waffle form, and topped with honey. I honestly don't think eating healthy gets any tastier than this!

What I do is puree two or three vegetables and mix it in with buckwheat pancake mix. I only will use half the milk they call for and substitute the rest for puree. God I am good :). You can do it with pancakes and whatever else too but not going to lie when I say I eat this shit out of these waffles too!
You really can't taste them in there at all!
I can't take all the credit for this brilliance though. I got the idea from this Veggie Muffin Recipe by dana-MADE-it . Roman is also obsessed with the muffins. I definitely recommend both sneaky recipes ;)



I know, I know... My photographing skills are pretty amazing. Try not to be too jealous.

WARNING:  If you make these amazing waffles, make sure to lockup all dinosaurs. Veggie Waffles are sort of a dino fav. ;)




1 comment: